How much better to get wisdom than gold!
To get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver.
(Proverbs 16:16 ESV)
Last week I wrote about listening to advice in order to gain wisdom. An obvious question in response is, “why should I even want wisdom?”
Fair question, here we have an answer – it is better to gain wisdom than to possess gold. My old High School used this proverb as it’s motto. Given the current price of gold is NZ$2,214 ($1.824 US) this is saying something significant.
It’s not as though gold is under-valued in the Bible, it is mentioned 455 times – more than heaven (422 times), money (123 mentions) and salvation (122 times). Knowing how much we covet gold, God has gone and paved the streets of heaven with the stuff! (Revelation 21:21).
Even if gold is not your thing, there are plenty of other reasons to seek wisdom:
- Wisdom protects better than money (Ecclesiastes 7:12).
- Wisdom preserves the life of the person who has it (Ecclesiastes 7:12).
- Wisdom and discretion give life to your soul (Proverbs 3:21-22).
- Wisdom will deliver you from the way of evil (Proverbs 2:12).
- It delivers a man from adultery (Proverbs 2:16).
- Wisdom gives strength (Ecclesiastes 7:19).
- It is better than strength (Ecclesiastes 9:16).
- Wisdom brightens your face (Ecclesiastes 8:1).
- Blessed is the person who finds it (Proverbs 3:13).
- Wisdom brings hope to your soul (Proverbs 24:14).
- Whoever gets wisdom loves their own soul (Proverbs 19:8).
With reasons like this to encourage us, it is obvious that only a fool would disdain wisdom.
So what should we do? Get wisdom! (Proverbs 4:7).
Other posts related to this topic:
Image of gold bar: BullionVault